Kids love to play with toys – no points for guessing that. They search for toys wherever they go and that’s the reason why parents even carry some toys in baby bags. Toys offer nice playing and activity time for kids. But, can they be more than that? Let’s find out.
Before buying any random toy from the store, parents should consider some things other than just “playing” aspect of them. Why is being conscious necessary? There are a few good reasons. First of all, the toy should not pose a health or injury risk for the child. While this may seem simple, there is more to that. Not many people are watchful of the material the toy is made of. The most common of which is plastic.
Plastic toys are widely popular, but they can be a risk to your child’s health and even more – the environment. They are usually made with chemicals that may transfer into your child and harm them. Also, these materials are not recyclable. Eco-friendly toys offer you an alternative to keep your child safe and contribute to a greener environment. You can even find fun items like a Refillable Bubble Solution in eco-friendly alternatives to blow bubbles with, which kids often love and enjoy. With growing concerns about environmental sustainability, it won’t hurt to make your contribution starting from home.
Let’s have a look at some pros and cons of eco-friendly toys.
- First of all, they are made of natural substance, mostly wood. Kids will most definitely drool on, chew or manipulate whatever kind of toy they are given. This has a risk of them inhaling or chewing potential toxins present in most of vinyl and plastic Eco-friendly toys use no chemicals in their production and therefore, you can be assured that your child is not exposed to any harmful substance.
- They are environment-friendly. These toys are made of biodegradable, natural, recyclable and/or recycled materials. Natural and organic fibres make sure that you are not causing any environmental damage.
- They use recycled packaging with no external plastic ties. This reduces garbage production.
- There are many different kinds of eco-friendly toys, ranging from trucks to dolls. So, you don’t have to compromise on the “cool” stuff.
- Wooden toys are very durable.
- They stimulate creativity in kids and keep the room clean and calm.
- Your kids can learn the importance of eco-friendly products and grow up to be responsible human beings contributing to the environment.
- They can be bought online. Buying eco toys online is very convenient and you can select from a variety of toys.
- They can be a little more costly than other toys.
- Eco-friendly toys are not easily washable. For example, if a wooden toy is covered with mud from the garden, it would take more effort to clean it than in the case of plastic toys.
- They might not come in a variety of attractive colours as plastic toys.
- Since wooden toys are hard, kids can injure themselves or others when they throw them around.
Advantages of eco-friendly toys certainly outweigh the disadvantages. However, it still comes down to the preference of parents. People looking to ensure extra safety for their children’s health and keep the environment clean and green should opt for eco-friendly toys.